BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

Baruch College Student Announcements

BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Provost's Message <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Provost's Message <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2021 10:26:22 -0400

May 17, 2021

End of Semester Greetings: Best Wishes for Finals and the Summer

Dear Baruch Community,

The end of the semester is always a time for reflection and renewal—and even more so now with many of the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic behind us. While there are still unknowns and hurdles in the road ahead, expanded vaccine access and vaccination rates across the community are allowing us to look forward to more in-person socializing with family and friends and to reopening our campus. For up-to-date information on vaccine availability and guidance, remember to visit #VaxUpCUNY <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=8XpyShDZlk2PKOzNK49thA&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA> .

Baruch Forward: Safe Campus Reopening

Our highest priority as we begin to reopen campus is the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff. Baruch Forward <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=1XVorytNDUqRppZT2gpsGQ&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  is our one-stop resource for information on campus access and resources for students, faculty, and staff. Please be sure to visit it regularly for the latest information.

To ensure the College’s safe and effective reopening in the fall, President S. David Wu recently charged two committees that will share regular updates. The Hybrid/Online Instruction Programming Working Group <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=CIWBAZQi50q15bpFNUfeaA&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  was convened to establish best practices in teaching, learning, and administrative programming in the Covid-19 and post-pandemic campus environment. The website includes a link <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=wN6lA1Wst0uXoyBY4t-31w&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  where students, faculty, and staff can share their ideas and feedback. Together with the Campus Reopening Committee—an interdisciplinary body that monitors guidance, updates protocols, and provides resources—Baruch is striving to build the infrastructure needed to deliver our outstanding academic programs within safe, effective, and flexible learning environments.

The CDC, New York State, and CUNY are also continuously evaluating the pandemic response and issuing new guidance as the situation evolves. To that end, two major updates were issued last week:

*	Governor Andrew Cuomo announced a vaccine mandate for students who plan to be on campus in the fall. CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=OvAhqoW2k0-v_oHAdfv28Q&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  and Baruch’s Dean of Students Art King followed up <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=9tq__LEKk0-0TpQMe2qJuw&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  with assurances to students that additional guidance and implementation details will be communicated in the coming weeks.
*	The chancellor also set a University-wide goal <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=0dAAuQjLhU-NxcvEwAAcBw&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  of having staff start to return to campuses during the week of August 2. In a joint communication <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=tVDCsSu_-E2rBZzwRQE4SA&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA> , Andrea Caviness, executive director of Human Resources, and Olga Dais, AVP and counsel/labor designee—who co-chair the Campus Reopening Committee—outlined that committee members will work with supervisors and managers on unit-specific plans.

With this and all other matters related to campus reopening, Baruch’s leadership team will continue to provide up-to-date information as it becomes available.

Thank You—and Welcome Provost Essig!

While my tenure as interim provost and SVP of Academic Affairs has not been long—I began the role <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=BrAdGin_uESUQI1bIfJl6g&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  in February—it has been productive and remarkable thanks to the collaboration and support I’ve received from the Baruch community. I now join you in welcoming Linda Essig, MFA, PhD, as she returns to New York and beings her tenure as provost <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=TVMltK7r2k6gqkF7GJGPdQ&ref_id=5K3dcsxkBk6YjkHKNKpXLA>  in July.

With this being the last day of the semester, I wish you the best of luck during finals and best wishes for a safe and relaxing summer!

Sincerely,

Myung-Soo Lee

Interim Provost and SVP for Academic Affairs