[cid:d32f738d-3f96-461a-b323-0fff2cc82df5]
October 9, 2023

Baruch Response to Recent Attacks in Israel

Dear Baruch Community:

The events in Israel over the past 48 hours are heartbreaking and horrifying.  We condemn unequivocally the vicious attack by Hamas terrorists on the Israeli people during the Jewish holiday of Simchat Torah. CUNY Chancellor Felix V. Matos Rodriguez shared the following statement shortly after the attack:

“Horrified by Hamas’ surprise attack on Israel and its people at the conclusion of Sukkot and on the sabbath, a vicious act designed to further divide Jews and Muslims and reignite hostilities in the region. Hoping for a swift end to the violence. Our thoughts and prayers are with all who are now fearing for the safety and wellbeing of colleagues, friends and loved ones in the region. We will work to maintain a climate of civility, promote constructive conversation and keep CUNY campuses safe. We have counselors available to help support our students and faculty coping with the emotional impact of this tragedy.”

At Baruch, our priority is the safety and security of our students, faculty, and staff. In the aftermath of the horrific attacks, the College’s public safety team will exercise additional safety measures as well as awareness and support in the upcoming days and weeks. The Chancellor issued an additional statement in this regard today:

“CUNY is devastated by the scope of death and destruction in Israel, still being assessed in the aftermath of Saturday’s violent attacks by Hamas militants. The University is putting in place counseling and related supports to our impacted students, faculty and staff. We are especially concerned about members of our community who have families, colleagues and friends in the Middle East.

“We want to be clear that we don’t condone the activities of any internal organizations that are sponsoring rallies to celebrate or support Hamas’ cowardly actions. Such efforts do not in any way represent the University and its campuses.”

At Baruch, we will adhere and enforce the university policy as clearly stated above.

This is the time to call for our community to exercise our guiding commitment of care and respect and to support one another. These tragic events hit close to home at Baruch as there are many students, faculty, alumni and staff with family and loved ones in Israel.  We extend our heartfelt sympathy and support to all feeling the emotional toll of this war.  The College will provide counseling and other resources to those in need: For Baruch students, please contact Counseling Center<https://studentaffairs.baruch.cuny.edu/counseling/>. For Baruch faculty and staff, please contact  Employee Assistance Program<https://hr.baruch.cuny.edu/eap/>.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu
President

[Message from Baruch President S. David Wu footer with Baruch and CUNY logos and the url to President Wu's webpages: president.baruch.cuny.edu]