[Campus Operations Notice header with Baruch and CUNY logos]

June 8, 2023

Chimney Replacement at the Field Building at 17 Lex and Impacts to the South Campus

Dear Baruch College Community,

The Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY) has determined that the chimney located on the roof of Baruch College’s historic Lawrence and Eris Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue needs to be replaced.

This work will affect access to Baruch’s South Campus buildings (see below) and will be done in two phases.

  *   In Phase 1, scaffolding will be set up around the chimney on the roof and the chimney will be removed. The estimated timeframe for this phase is about six weeks, beginning immediately.
  *   In Phase 2, a new chimney will be installed. The timing for this work is yet to be determined and will be shared as soon as possible.

What to Expect
The safety of our students, faculty, and staff is our top priority. As a precaution, during the Phase 1 work, the following will not be accessible:

  *   17 Lex: Floors 15 and 16 and the stairwell area between floors 1 and 2 near Mason Hall
  *   Administration Building: Floors 9 and 10
  *   Newman Hall: the Oak Room and rooms 204A and 204B, 314 and 315, and 418
  *   The alleyway between 17 Lex, the Administration Building, and Steven L. Newman Hall
  *   The 4th-floor bridges between the Field Building and Newman Hall, and Newman Hall and the Administration Building (card key access on both sides has been disabled)

Please note that the Administration Building and Newman Hall must be accessed from their respective entrances on East 22nd Street and the Field Building from its 17 Lexington Avenue entrance. No exceptions will be made. If you work in any of the impacted areas, please speak with your manager about remote work options and/or on-campus locations that will be available for meetings or work.

Please contact me at 917-439-6572 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> should you need an onsite space or have any other questions.

As this is a long-term project, we will continue to update you on our progress and next steps as soon as information becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we maintain and upgrade Baruch’s facilities and infrastructure.

Sincerely,

Tom Gaimaro

Director, Facilities Planning, Design and Construction

[Message footer with Baruch and CUNY logos]