October 31, 2022

My October Blog: “Be the Bridge Between Differences”

Dear Baruch Community,

Earlier this month, I was interviewed by ABC News as part of their coverage of the upcoming Supreme Court case concerning affirmative action in college admissions. The reporter was most interested in how a selective institution like Baruch achieves a diverse student population when race is not a factor in admissions—such policy is consistent across all CUNY colleges. I will return to this topic in the blog post. The reporter was also interested to know the significance of my being the first Asian American to lead a CUNY college as well as my experience as a member of a racial minority in academia.

Coincidentally, I recently hosted an alumni homecoming where more than 400 Baruch graduates from the classes of 2020, 2021, and 2022 reconnected and celebrated. As I mingled with the crowd, many asked me a similar but somewhat differently framed question: “As you are also an immigrant, what advice do you have for me (as an immigrant) trying to make it in the professional world?”

In both cases, my response was that I often see myself as a bridge between different cultures and backgrounds—and I encourage my younger colleagues to own their story and turn their sense of vulnerability into a source of strength.

In my October blog post, “Be the Bridge Between Differences,” I share more of my background and early years and my current thinking about diversity on college campuses.

I invite you to join this timely conversation—comment, subscribe, and sign up for blog notifications. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College

To unsubscribe from the BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS,SIGNOFF);