October 28, 2021

My October Blog: “On Knowledge Creation and the Role of Academic
Institutions (Part II)”

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,

In my September blog <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=NmrO0xn-x0W0vezEWsEoUw&ref_id=3Kt-KXia2ki6nSqwcc6jAw> , I argued that humanity has reached the point where knowledge is so abundant and easily accessible that we are able to solve some of the greatest puzzles from previous generations. In this month’s post, “On Knowledge Creation and the Role of Academic Institutions (Part II) <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=Z0SFTkyglkSWQNPyXcylsQ&ref_id=3Kt-KXia2ki6nSqwcc6jAw> ,” I want to push further and suggest that the time has come for us to reexamine the connections among knowledge creation, appropriation, and dissemination. Perhaps this could shape our thinking about the role of academic institutions and our own institutional future.

I begin by examining the history and importance of the “idea of a university.” Throughout my career as an academic, I have often needed to explain to friends not in academia the ideas behind the seemingly strange concepts of tenure and academic freedom. I regularly share examples where, without the construct of universities, many transformational ideas would not have had a chance of surviving. These ideas gave rise to countless inventions and solutions to issues plaguing humankind. At times, though, these ideas also challenged those in power.

Please read this post <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=Z0SFTkyglkSWQNPyXcylsQ&ref_id=3Kt-KXia2ki6nSqwcc6jAw>  and join the conversation—comment, subscribe, and sign up for notifications. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College