October 25, 2021

Field Building Façade Inspection Begins This Week

Dear Baruch College Community,

As mentioned in this month’s facilities update <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=tRhB7sngS06Uw7VqUR5_iQ&ref_id=YI9B1ViMoEid71r1Me6wtg> , the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY) begins managing Local Law 11 work at the Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue this week. Local Law 11, also known as the NYC Façade Inspection Safety Program, requires that buildings taller than six stories have their façades reviewed, inspected, and repaired every five years by qualified inspectors and engineers. This project is expected to be completed by early 2022.

What to Expect

Over the course of the next few days, crews will begin erecting scaffolding in preparation of the exterior inspection.

The inspection focuses on the condition of the exterior façade to identify loose or faulty components, such as brick and mortar joints. If deficiencies are identified, the team will make repairs, which involve covering and securing work areas, chipping, grinding, and drilling.

Tentative work schedule for each side of the Field Building (weather permitting):

*         Lexington Avenue (west façade): Today, Oct. 25–Wednesday, Nov. 24

*         23rd Street (north façade): Today, Oct. 25–Friday, Dec. 3

*         3rd Avenue (east side): Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021–Thursday, Jan. 20, 2022

*         22nd Street (south side): Friday, Dec. 10, 2021–Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022

We realize that this work may be disruptive to students, faculty, and staff. Therefore, we are partnering with DASNY, which has the 17 Lex classroom schedule and will be working around those times to minimize disruptions.

Should you have any questions regarding this work, please contact me at 917-439-6572.

Advanced thanks for your cooperation as we partner with DASNY to keep Baruch’s facilities safe and in compliance.

Sincerely,

Tom Gaimaro

Director of Facilities Planning, Design, and Construction