September 28, 2021

Listening Sessions Update: Thank You for Sharing

Dear Baruch Community,

We wish to express our gratitude for your contributions to the Listening Sessions during the Spring 2021 semester. Your commitment to the Baruch community was evident, as more than 250 people registered to participate in 45 scheduled Listening Sessions, and 30 campus volunteers participated as Listening Session facilitators or recorders.

Thank you for the generosity with which you relayed your experiences; we owe you a debt of gratitude for the depth of sharing offered. Due to the detailed and personal nature of the experiences you shared, the Listening Session research team (see members below) is doing its best to make sure we learn from your contributions while maintaining your confidentiality and taking the appropriate time to truly understand the different perspectives you shared.

Process and Next Steps

The Listening Sessions generated more than 40 transcripts that were de-identified to maintain the confidentiality of the speaker. As the Listening Session research team analyzes the transcripts, we do not know the identity of participants. Since June, the de-identified transcripts have been read and coded so the rich data provided may be collated and analyzed. To ensure that every voice was heard, we have sought to have every transcript read and coded by two people.

The Listening Session research team comprises the following volunteers from the Presidential Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=27W79C8CeUqwa8qJq-iwlA&ref_id=0D4njZOl5UmyU6Yd6DcV7Q>  (PACDEI):

*	Cristina Balboa, Associate Professor, Marxe School of Public and International Affairs
*	Leslie Hunt, Director of Graduate Programs, Weissman School of Arts and Sciences and PACDEI Co-Chair
*	Samuel Johnson, Professor, Psychology and PACDEI Co-Chair
*	Robert Kunicki, Assistant Director for Student Success, Assessment, and Enrollment Initiatives
*	Kenya Lee, Chief of Staff

Orchestrating the Listening Sessions, and coding and analyzing the feedback, is done in addition to each person’s regular teaching, service, and work commitments at Baruch. We are honored to take on this work for our community.

You Are Invited: Informal, In-Person Update This Friday

We know there have been many questions about the progress of the work, and what happens next. We plan to have a report to the community this fall. Knowing that many of you gave richly and are eagerly awaiting the report, we wish to offer the opportunity to speak with the Listening Session research team in an informal check-in:

*	Where: Clivner=Field Plaza
*	When: Friday, Oct. 1, 10–11 am

We will be there to offer our thanks and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to stop by and say hello.

Sincerely,

The Presidential Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion