July 1, 2021

Welcome Provost Essig and Appreciation for the Baruch Community

Dear Baruch Community,

As I complete my first year as President of Baruch College, I want to thank you—the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of this great institution—for persevering through such an unusual and challenging time. While the year was not without its difficulties and pressures, it was overall a triumph because of your fortitude, flexibility, and devotion.

We taught, learned, worked, and socialized virtually through an entire academic year. In addition to holding nearly all of our classes online, we gathered often and virtually for numerous ceremonies, including my first Commencement as Baruch’s president; enlightening webinars; cultural events; listening sessions; and town halls. The College’s essential personnel worked hard to keep the physical campus safe and humming and are now preparing it for our return in August.

Our First Year Together
During the past year, Phase 1A of the Field Building at 17 Lex <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=DB2XVv2sKU6HeD6xCHd22A&ref_id=MWSZkDfaPka8gxTqmvXmYA>  renovation was finished, the Aaronson Student Center was created, and the Clivner=Field Plaza <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=Y1iIHw_u0UycDU_xcf-uQw&ref_id=MWSZkDfaPka8gxTqmvXmYA>  will soon be completed and opened to the Baruch community and the public. The College also had a strong year in fundraising. We successfully completed the Stand Up for Baruch initiative—the funds raised will allow the College to address pressing student needs brought on by Covid-19 and allow Baruch to capitalize on the lessons it learned from this crisis and emerge stronger and better positioned. And while numbers are still being finalized, we are anticipating overall enrollment growth again this year, after unprecedented growth last year and despite national and local trends to the contrary.

Welcome Provost Linda Essig

It is also my pleasure to welcome <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=nm--BNQ5wUqamQTbSJISEA&ref_id=MWSZkDfaPka8gxTqmvXmYA>  Linda Essig, MFA, PhD, as she begins her tenure as Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. She joins Baruch at a critical moment in our history and will lead and inspire all academic, research, and creative work of the College. With a background in theater and design, a doctorate in public administration and policy, and an academic focus on entrepreneurship, she brings to the role a cross-disciplinary perspective that touches on all three of Baruch’s schools. Like all of us, she is deeply committed to the College’s mission to provide inclusive, transformational education at the highest level of academic excellence.

Provost Essig and I will soon announce the leadership transition plan for the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, following the retirement <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=DdrHmAZUXU2W6slFDFQzcQ&ref_id=MWSZkDfaPka8gxTqmvXmYA>  of Marxe Dean David Birdsell—who will be assuming the role of provost and vice president of academic affairs at Kean University—and Associate Dean Patria de Lancer Julnes’s move to the University of New Mexico. You will also hear from Provost Essig on various aspects of academic affairs—from instructional modalities to cross-college faculty research and curricular innovation.

Looking Forward to Seeing You Soon

While I am grateful for everyone’s commitment to making our virtual campus environment a success, I cannot wait to start meeting you in person in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, I wish you the best for a safe and enjoyable summer and thank you again for your support during my inaugural year as president.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu
President, Baruch College