/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=2105&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=1307200&B=----boundary_144743_7f93ac5f-3f1f-4fdd-b97b-501df791b002&T=image%2Fjpeg

May 27, 2021

Baruch is Committed to Mutual Respect and Condemns Hate Speech and Actions

Dear Bearcats,

Following today’s wonderful Virtual Commencement Experience celebrating the Class of 2021, we want to wish all of our students and recent graduates a safe and peaceful summer.

As we collectively exhale at the end of the academic year, it is impossible not to recognize that there are still so many crises and conflicts going on around us: a global pandemic that continues to devastate lives in many parts of the world, racial tensions across the United States, the senseless loss of lives due to gun violence, and anti-Asian, anti-Semitic, and anti-Black violence here at home and abroad.

Indeed, the NYPD and media have been reporting increased incidents of anti-Semitic aggression around the city. As most of our students come from in and around New York City, and our campus is located in the heart of the city, these reports make us think of you and your safety. We condemn any assault—physical, verbal, or virtual via social media—and stand strong in our commitment to fairness, equity, and mutual respect.

As members of one of the most diverse college communities in the U.S., we must protect and respect the rights of all people and reject all forms of prejudice and hate. We have 155 nationalities represented on campus and 109 languages spoken across our student population. We all bring to campus—the classroom, activities, community service, and social causes—our own unique perspectives and points of view. Together we nurture an environment of respectful debate and dialogue, keeping in mind the weight of our words and wanting to use them as a source for constructive discussion and positive change.

The Bearcat Commitment, to which all of our students pledge, is truly a motto for life: “I will value our culture of diversity, respect those around me, and foster an inclusive community through inquiry, compassion, and celebration.” These tenets are supported and promoted at all levels of Baruch College. President S. David Wu has expanded the charge of the Presidential Advisory Council for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, whose goal it is to “seek to engage the campus community in various ways to conceive a long-term vision for building and strengthening a culture of diversity, inclusion, and equity at Baruch. Council members are drawn from across the College so that they may serve as ambassadors to the community.”

As each of us may encounter issues or incidents that we need help in processing, I want you to know that we in the Office of the Dean of Students are available for you, and our Counseling Center will remain open over the summer—including for the members of the Class of 2021. Please do not hesitate to reach out and seek any support you may need.

We all have what it takes to care for one another—and appreciate and celebrate the beauty of diversity and the contributions we all make to our communities, nation, and the world. I wish you and your families a healthy and safe summer.

Sincerely,

Art King

Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=2105&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=1417445&B=----boundary_144743_7f93ac5f-3f1f-4fdd-b97b-501df791b002&T=image%2Fjpeg

To unsubscribe from the BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS,SIGNOFF);