May 26, 2021

My May Blog: “A Dress Rehearsal for the Future”

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,

It is hard to believe that we have reached graduation season and completed perhaps the most unusual academic year—not only for the graduates, but for everyone. Experiencing every facet of our lives virtually, as we have over the last 14 months, will likely influence us in ways we are yet to fully comprehend for years to come.

For the graduates, I would like to describe the time you spent inhabiting, maximizing, and personalizing the online world as a “rehearsal for the future.” Depending on the industry and organization you will join, the work environment and nature of your work will look much different than before—as businesses and large organizations are exploring hybrid models for their employees, customers, and patrons. Your resilience in navigating this new environment—adapting to previously unimaginable changes in your lives and the world—has prepared you to be that agent of change and the source of vibrancy for the place you will belong.

Set the Stage—A Rare Window of Opportunity

For the rest of the Baruch community, I encourage everyone to get some rest and restoration, while mentally preparing for yet another big transition—our return to campus*. I will take a hiatus from my monthly blog until September, but I would like to use this month’s blog, “A Dress Rehearsal for the Future <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=bAP3tPvq8U-1bVda0bgqxQ&ref_id=mwZr1jBvh0uKApXAIkt23w> ,” to frame our transition over the coming year as one of the most important turning points in our recent history. You see, we have a window of opportunity—a precious gift, really—over the next year to conduct an institution-wide dress rehearsal for the future.

Please read this post <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=bAP3tPvq8U-1bVda0bgqxQ&ref_id=mwZr1jBvh0uKApXAIkt23w>  in its entirety and join the conversation—comment, subscribe, and sign up for notifications. Over the summer months as you get some rest, please take some time to get into character for the most important dress rehearsal for Baruch’s future.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College

*Remember, for the most up-to-date safe campus reopening information and more, I encourage you to bookmark the Baruch Forward <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=1XVorytNDUqRppZT2gpsGQ&ref_id=mwZr1jBvh0uKApXAIkt23w>  website.