April 5, 2021

Staying Connected: Registration, Fall 2021 Plans, and Student Resources

Dear Baruch Students,

It has been and continues to be a trying time. Let me begin this message by saying that I recognize many of you are going through a difficult time, and the absence of social contact and support from your peers makes it even more challenging. More than a year ago, the Baruch College community had to pivot and enact measures to stay safe and virtually deliver our mission. My colleagues and I at the College have been working hard to keep our community safe, while maintaining the momentum of your education. While there is still much to improve, I am proud that the College community came together to deliver the value for which Baruch is known.

I know it hasn’t been easy, and now there are reasons to be optimistic. Covid-19 vaccine distribution has greatly expanded and improved, and CUNY is vigorously supporting these efforts through its #VaxUpCUNY Campaign <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=CtuXy7SAeUu-_Fu1kti1XA&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg> . The sooner our community is vaccinated, the safer and more successful our Fall 2021 will be. I will soon be fully vaccinated myself.

Throughout this turbulent year, most of you managed to remain dedicated to your studies and professional development, your families, the national activist dialog, and our community. And Baruch is here to continue to support your progress and well-being during these uncertain, challenging times.

Fall 2021: Moving Forward and Staying Safe

The leadership team and I are working to address all aspects of a safe campus return. For now, we are planning for a best-case scenario, in which vaccination and other public health measures continue to demonstrate effectiveness in slowing the transmission of Covid-19, allowing for the reopening of our campus. As stated in a message <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=ms1OkkrUtUKgJbVGfkqSWQ&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  from Interim Provost and SVP for Academic Affairs Myung-Soo Lee, the Fall 2021 classes comprise a robust offering of in-person, hybrid, and online (both synchronous and asynchronous) sections. The academic departments and the faculty have made their best effort to put together a schedule that offers students broad options with respect to educational needs and preferences as well as personal circumstances. As we plan for more face-to-face interactions for the Fall 2021 semester, the College is revising/updating its reopening plan, specifying social distancing and safety protocols, and determining on-campus capacity based on the most up-to-date guidelines from the CDC and city/state regulations. Multiple College-wide groups are leading these crucial discussions as we prioritize the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff as well as ensure delivery of our academic mission.

Registration Support: Summer and Fall 2021

I am sure you have been getting ready for Registration for Summer and Fall 2021, which begins today. Registration is a crucial step on your roadmap to success, both personally and professionally. If you have not already, make sure to check out the Registration Resources <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=D1TF_5y7kUmWxLFkt3yDWw&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  webpage, which provides specific guidance:

·         Learn how to clear your holds, build your schedule, make an appointment with an academic advisor, and more.

·         Review “Registration from A–Z,” which includes helpful descriptions <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=ktzMexbKs06YIci6EvGAUA&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  of the online, hybrid, and in-person course modalities.

·         The Registration Appointment schedule was released on March 22. Please check your Enrollment Appointment on CUNYfirst <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=_R4OEhTPfEqOKD7hzj5a-Q&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg> . Note: You may register any time after your designated appointment time.

·         Make sure you are checking CUNYfirst for the modality of each course you select. Reread the Fall 2021 Course Schedule <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=ms1OkkrUtUKgJbVGfkqSWQ&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  message from Interim Provost Lee, which also addresses such related issues as ample quiet study and lab space for students while on campus.

We’ve Got Your Back: Supports and Resources

As important as Registration is in the here-and-now, you are also balancing Spring 2021 classwork, upcoming papers, presentations, and final exams. To help reduce any stress you may feel and to help you build a sense of community, Baruch’s Office of Student Affairs provides a variety of services, including:

·         Baruch’s Counseling Center <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=7hfULZ57uUCSOyHRE4pRXw&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  offers students free and confidential counseling/support session for individuals or groups, as well as Black Mental Health Matters Support Sessions. CUNY’s Crisis Text Line <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=aOjUnc5cP0ygMmTGw9fB2Q&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  provides students with immediate access to free, confidential counseling 24/7 via text.

·         Students who are experiencing food insecurity and in need of support can contact the Dean of Students <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=6uPyRpLeyESt7d9_7yLJMA&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  for private and confidential assistance.

·         Students are reminded to be vigilant of internet job scammers. Learn how to avoid internet scams here <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=zMLgyX2iX0qX3P4biFBhAw&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg> .

·         Students who are graduating on May 27—congratulations!—are encouraged to visit the 2021 Virtual Commencement Experience webpage <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=7Jdi8Cc-0ECi7F6VPxdETA&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg>  to get ready and get excited.

Help Us: #VaxUpCUNY

The only way we can truly move forward is when a majority of our community is vaccinated. As you know, beginning tomorrow, April 6, all New York residents age 16 and older are eligible to be vaccinated. Let’s end this pandemic for good, together. When it’s your turn, please get your Covid-19 vaccination. It’s the most important step you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones. You can help the Baruch community to return sooner, safer and have a more successful Fall 2021 and beyond. Learn more at #VaxUpCUNY <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=CtuXy7SAeUu-_Fu1kti1XA&ref_id=2ePlsP_Ia0KU-8wWAdOfyg> .

Communication Is Critical

As we adapt and move forward, communication will be key and is also one of the best ways to combat anxiety. Read the texts, newsletters, and other timely messages you receive from Baruch and from The City University of New York. Stay informed and keep yourself up to date. And don’t hesitate to reach out for support.

While we may not have all of the answers, I have every faith that we will come out of this crisis even stronger. Until then, I look forward to staying connected with you with messages and virtual gatherings. Stay safe and stay healthy.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College