/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=2103&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=38764&B=----boundary_387692_8c705ee8-e89f-4433-88e1-92eab63bb898&T=image%2Fjpeg

March 2, 2021

Please Join Me in Celebrating Women’s History Month 2021

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,

March is Women’s History Month, an international celebration and commemoration of women’s contributions to our history and contemporary society. Women’s History Month (WHM) was officially proclaimed by the U.S. Congress 34 years ago, in 1987. This year’s WHM theme at Baruch—Overcoming Obstacles—segues nicely into sharing a brief history of the first female students at the College, who faced some obstacles themselves.

In the Beginning: Women’s History at Baruch College

The history of women at Baruch College is an integral part of Baruch’s exceptional story. Women have been part of Baruch’s student body since the very beginning, over 90 years ago—at a time when coeducation was still a radical concept. Baruch College—the School of Business and Civic Administration of CCNY at that time—admitted women into bachelor’s degree programs within the first year of opening their downtown branch at 17 Lexington Avenue and 23rd Street in 1929, today’s Lawrence and Eris Field Building. Baruch was a pioneer and a trailblazer, as women’s aptitude for a professional career in business and civic administration was yet to be universally accepted.

In the early years, however, female students were outnumbered by their male counterparts by 30 to 1. In spite of those circumstances, female students were both high performing and active. Their involvement extended well beyond the classroom to such activities as the Ticker student newspaper, which was launched in 1932. In 1933, when the administration reversed its earlier decision and banned the admission of women to the day session, the entire community rallied to have them readmitted. That fight lasted for three full years, with women proudly returning to the day session with equal privileges as male students in 1936.

Fast forward to today: I am happy to report that in Fall 2020 women represent 49.2 percent of Baruch’s total enrollment and 54.4 percent of the graduate enrollment. What a turnaround and triumph and a proud history for Baruch.

Women’s History Month Calendar 2021: Virtual Events You’ll Want to Attend

As part of the College’s celebration, a series of events have been planned throughout the month. Please visit the Women’s History Month webpage for the complete calendar and register today. Each event honors the strength, courage, and resilience of phenomenal women and calls attention to the different ways women have and are overcoming obstacles.

Starting today and coming this week:

·         WHM Opening Ceremony: Transforming Struggles into Art: A “Tiny Zoom Concert,” today, Tuesday, Mar. 2, 12:45–2 pm. This year’s WHM theme, Overcoming Obstacles, speaks directly to the experience of women artists in Latin America and the Caribbean. Celebrate their work and lives with a concert and conversation presented with support from ISLA (Initiative for the Study of Latin America). Sign up for the Opening Ceremony.

·         Imposter Phenomenon: Reclaiming Your Confidence, Thursday, Mar. 4, 12:30 pm. Imposter Phenomenon is a systemic issue that affects the lives of countless people. With expertise from the Baruch Counseling Center and the CUNY Graduate Center, Our B.I.A.S shines a light on the roots of this phenomenon, working to raise awareness and find solutions. This event is for all cis and trans women as well as nonbinary and gender-fluid people who are comfortable in a space that centers on the experiences of women. Register here.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all of those who have worked hard to make these events possible for our community.

Celebrate Women’s History and Our Diverse, Dynamic Community with Multimedia

Multimedia, especially video conversations and celebration reels, have become a wonderful way for the Baruch community to stay engaged, inspired, and connected during this unprecedented and difficult year. I invite you to watch these women-centric segments:

·         Voices of Baruch: Munira Pulodi (MPA ’21), winner of a Fulbright Teaching Assistant Award here

·         Zicklin Faculty Spotlight: Professor of Law Nizan Geslevich Packin on “Are Alogorithms Killing Second Opinions?” here

·         Zicklin Faculty Spotlight: Aldinger Chair in Banking and Finance Linda Allen on “Social Connectivity and Peer Lending” here

·         Two Weissman Faculty Members Win Guggenheim Awards: Professor Alison Griffiths and Professor Esther Allen

·         Marxe Faculty Spotlight: Professor Dahlia Remler on “Keeping People Out of Poverty: Do Health Insurance Benefits Make a Difference?here

Women’s History Month will be active on social media as well. Follow the WHM Instagram account, @baruchwhm, for events and features on exceptional women from different eras, including exceptional Baruch women. These stories and posts will include inspirational quotations, self-care tips, and an opportunity to share your personal stories.

Nominate a Phenomenal Woman

It’s not too late to nominate a student, faculty member, staff member, or alumna for Phenomenal Woman recognition. Nominations will be accepted through Wednesday, Mar. 17, at 11:45 pm. Submit your nomination using the using this form. Learn more about the campaign.

It’s an exciting time at Baruch as we celebrate our diversity while committing to attain true equity and inclusion by transforming our culture and institution. These commitments help us to reaffirm of our mission of providing access to high-quality, affordable higher education to all who have the desire and ability, no matter their background. Please join me in expressing and renewing that joyous commitment through the focus this month on women’s history and contributions.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu, President

Baruch College

/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=2103&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=87179&B=----boundary_387692_8c705ee8-e89f-4433-88e1-92eab63bb898&T=image%2Fjpeg

To unsubscribe from the BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS,SIGNOFF);