cid:image001.jpg@01D6AD0C.1CE94230

February 1, 2021

Best Wishes for Spring 2021

Dear Bearcats,

It is my pleasure to welcome all of you—first-year, transfers, graduate, and continuing students—to the Spring 2021 semester. As a major snow storm bears down on New York City and the region, all CUNY campuses are closed today and all classes and student services will be online only.

That said, I would like us all to keep in mind that many public safety officers and buildings and grounds staff are reporting to campus today to clear snow and help keep the area safe for the people who live and work in Baruch’s neighborhood. On behalf of the College community, I thank them for their dedication and service today and every day, as these essential personnel are truly that—essential—to keeping our campus operating as smoothly and safely as possible.

Looking Ahead to Fall 2021

Even as this term gets underway in our virtual-campus environment, we are already looking ahead to Fall 2021 with the hope that we can resume some on-campus classes and activities by that time. CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez expressed this outlook to the University community in January, and Baruch’s Task Force for the Future has laid out concrete steps for us to continue enhancing the quality of our education—during the pandemic, and for the long-run. I look forward to communicating our progress in due course.

It is worth noting that even during this challenging time, Baruch remains one of the most competitive institutions within CUNY and in the nation: Our enrollment surged by 5.8 percent, our six-year graduation rate increased from 69.9 percent to 72.5 percent, and among peer institutions, our career outcomes were among the highest.

Celebrating Black History Month

It is exciting that the spring term always begins with Black History Month, a national celebration of African Americans’ contributions to our history, culture, and future. For our College, the connection is deep and personal. Indeed, the history of Baruch is inextricably tied to the history of Black excellence at our institution and in the United States.

With great thanks to the Division of Student Affairs, the volunteers on Baruch’s Black History Month Committee, and the Department of Black and Latino Studies, we look forward to a diverse array of programming that underscores the theme of Family, Representation, and Resilience. As Baruch’s eighth president, I am honored to narrate a short documentary on Robert Clifton Weaver, the first President of Baruch College, which will go live this Thursday, Feb. 4. Please visit the Student Affairs Black History Month webpage and the Black History at Baruch website for additional information and event listings.

Looking Ahead: Campus Improvements

As the Baruch community continues to learn, work, and socialize virtually through the spring semester, big changes are happening on campus.

  • Last week I was pleased to host a virtual ribbon cutting to celebrate the completed Phase 1A renovations to the historic Lawrence and Eris Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue. Four years and more than $109 million in the making, major upgrades include a grand new glass-fronted, ADA-accessible entrance on Lexington Avenue, upgraded elevators. and critical infrastructure improvements. This milestone is a great step forward in our ongoing effort to improve our teaching and learning environments. Watch this brief video to see the transformation happen.
  • We have also made great progress on the permanent Clivner=Field Plaza, where 25th Street was permanently closed between Lexington and Third Avenues to give Baruch and the neighboring community an outdoor gathering space. The contractors overcame hurdles with underground utilities and infrastructure and are now finishing the surface, installing seating, and planning for landscaping when the weather warms up. You can visit the Clivner=Field Plaza webpage for an archive of photos and updates.
  • The Allen G. and Mary E. Aaronson Student Center, the College’s first permanent student center, is ready to welcome students when we return to campus. Located on the lower level of the historic Madison Square Post Office, across from the 24th Street entrance to the Newman Vertical Campus, the center was made possible by a gift from the late Allen G. Aaronson (’48) and his wife Mary. It gives students a modern, comfortable place to study, collaborate, create community, or just hang out.

Interim Provost and Provost Search

Earlier this year, I informed the Baruch community that Dr. Myung-Soo Lee, professor of Marketing and International Business, will be serving as Interim Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs through August, following the retirement of Interim Provost James McCarthy who had been in the role since August 2019. Dr. Lee is a renowned scholar, an experienced academic leader, and is known for his passion for student success and academic excellence. I know from faculty and staff alike that Professor Lee has the trust, respect, and admiration across the Baruch community—along with an impressive devotion and commitment to our students and the College—making him an ideal interim provost. Interim Provost Lee will work hard to further enhance your educational experience in the spring and beyond.

The national search for a permanent provost and SVP for academic affairs is well underway and on track to have a final appointment by July 1. The position profile was developed with input from the entire Baruch community and anyone is welcome to recommend candidates to the search firm at [log in to unmask].

Deepening Our Connections

As I hope you have realized, I am a strong believer in open lines of communication and welcoming thoughts and feedback from across Baruch and beyond. I hope you will have a chance to read my January blog, What Does Success Look Like?, which was written specifically with you—our students—in mind. Please offer your contributions to the conversation on my website. I am also on Twitter @DavidWuBaruch and look forward to seeing you there as well.

As we continue to cope with this unpredictable pandemic, we never stop finding ways to adapt and to improve.  Please know that your health and safety—along with your academic progress and long-term career success—are our top priorities. Our Baruch Forward website offers valuable resources and support as we all endeavor to stay connected and productive in the virtual campus environment. Thank you again for your resiliency, drive, and determination, and in safely creating community with one another.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College

cid:image003.jpg@01D6AD0C.1CE94230

To unsubscribe from the BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS,SIGNOFF);