November 30, 2020

My November Blog: Connecting to the “Big Picture”

Dear Baruch Community,

Since taking the helm at Baruch, I have occasionally received comments wondering why I have taken a “socio-political” position for the institution rather than focus on our research and teaching mission. While repeatedly addressing socioeconomic and broader higher ed issues seems more in a politician’s wheelhouse and a bit out of place for an educator and a college president, I have done this intentionally.

In my latest blog post, Connecting to the “Big Picture,” <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=JsmljLAGlkOnr2YeZKiU4g&ref_id=fWuHn1IeKEWwADq2s2RV9g>  I explore this topic and continue the conversation about our social responsibility as an institution. As you read my blog, I ask you to consider the connection of your work and studies at Baruch to these abstract, big picture ideas. I argue that the socio-political context underpins and is inextricable from our teaching mission.

I invite you to read the post in its entirety here <https://pmail.baruch.cuny.edu/PoliteMail/default.aspx?page=JsmljLAGlkOnr2YeZKiU4g&ref_id=fWuHn1IeKEWwADq2s2RV9g>  and subscribe, comment, like, and sign up for notifications. Our dialogues help improve Baruch and society and are especially important in these difficult, unpredictable times.

Sincerely,

S. David Wu

President, Baruch College