[cid:image001.jpg@01D496D7.08D2E140]

December 19, 2018

Baruch College Self-Study 2020: Project Update

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,

As we near the end of the Fall 2018 semester, I would like to update you on the status of our multi-year Self-Study, part of Baruch College's work to reaffirm our accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).

We have come a long way since I wrote to you about this important project in September.

What We Have Accomplished
The eight Working Groups-convened at the beginning of this term-have collaborated College-wide and conducted extensive research to test Baruch's compliance with MSCHE's seven Standards of Accreditation and its Requirements of Affiliation.

The results of that research are almost all in, and I applaud the hard work of the nearly 80 members of our community who took part in this process-especially the co-chairs of the groups, in each case a pairing of a member of the faculty and the staff. (In case you're interested in the Standards and Requirements themselves, see Standards for Accreditation and Requirements of Affiliation<https://www.msche.org/standards/>.) I would also like to thank all of the members of the faculty, administration, and staff who provided the requested evidence to our Working Groups as well as everyone who participated in one of the many scheduled Community Conversations this fall.

What to Expect: Our Next Steps

The next step of the College's Self-Study involves drafting a coherent narrative that links the eight sections and tells our story-a responsibility of the three Self-Study's co-chairs: Rachél Fester, PhD, assistant provost for assessment, accreditation, and institutional effectiveness and MSCHE accreditation liaison officer; Dennis Slavin, PhD, associate provost for teaching and learning; and Cheryl Smith, PhD, associate professor of English.

That draft will be released to the campus community early in Spring 2019, and we hope that it will generate much discussion and that faculty, staff, and students will provide ample feedback. The Self-Study draft will be revised through September 2019, when it will be sent for comments to the chair of the MSCHE Evaluation Team, which will be visiting Baruch College in Spring 2020.

In short, we've accomplished much this fall, and I look forward to considerably more progress in the spring. The Self-Study co-chairs and I plan to continue to update you at important milestones.

Meanwhile, I hope that everyone has a happy and healthy holiday season and glorious new year!

Sincerely,

Mitchel B. Wallerstein, PhD
President, Baruch College

[cid:image002.jpg@01D496D7.08D2E140]