/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=1805&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=12477&B=--_005_520c5bc05961425daa18b80d65ae59efmbx2vbBCBaruchCunyEdu_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image001.png%22&N=image001.png

May 8, 2018

Extension of Moratorium: Pledging and Rush Activities in Social Fraternities and Sororities

Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,

To continue ensuring the safety, security, and well-being of our students, and after consultation with Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Art King, the College has determined that it is necessary to extend the existing moratorium on pledging and rush activities in all Baruch social fraternities and sororities at least through May 31, 2021. This decision was reached after several discussions with senior College administrators and after reviewing information from the College’s Undergraduate Student Government, which conducted an open forum and campus-wide survey on the matter, as well as other information regarding student behavior during the existing moratorium.

In deciding to extend the moratorium, we continue to bear in mind that Baruch College freshman Chun Hsien “Michael” Deng died needlessly in December 2013 as a result of a hazing ritual that occurred during an unsanctioned, secret fraternity event held in the Pocono Mountains. This senseless tragedy resulted in serious criminal charges being filed against a number of Baruch students, and it has now led to guilty pleas and convictions and upended lives and futures.

We are mindful that deaths and serious injuries due to hazing continue to occur across the country, including at Penn State, Florida State, and elsewhere. As we sadly experienced here at Baruch College, the ramifications can be devastating. Michael Deng would have been graduating, along with his friends and fellow students, at this year’s 2018 Commencement ceremony.

We announce this decision to extend the moratorium until May 31, 2021, with Michael in our thoughts and the safety of all our students as a priority.

Sincerely,

David P. Christy, PhD

Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs

/Scripts/wa-bb.exe?A3=1805&L=BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS&E=base64&P=146397&B=--_005_520c5bc05961425daa18b80d65ae59efmbx2vbBCBaruchCunyEdu_&T=image%2Fgif;%20name=%22image002.gif%22&N=image002.gif

To unsubscribe from the BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(BARUCH-STUDENTS-ANNOUNCEMENTS,SIGNOFF);