BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

July 2004

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:17:32 -0400
July 1, 2004
To: Baruch College Community
From: Robert M. Specter
Re: Interim Appointments to Leadership Roles at Baruch College

I am pleased to announce the appointment of two key leaders to new positions at
Baruch College.  Dr. Abraham Tawil will serve as Acting Director of Human
Resources effective immediately.  In his new role, Abe will direct and oversee the
daily operations and administration of the Human Resources Department.

After her thirty one years at the College, Ronny Widener’s retirement leaves Abe
with big shoes to fill! Understandably, the coming months will be a transition time for
HR departmental staff.  I want to reaffirm my support of and commitment to our HR
professionals during the transition period and beyond as we commence the search
for permanent leadership.

Abe Tawil brings an expansive breadth of experience, knowledge, and expertise to
his new role as Acting Director of Human Resources.  He holds professional
certification as Senior Professional in Human Resources (S.P.H.R.), Certified
Compensation Professional (C.C.P.), and Certified Benefits Professional.  Abe has
extensive experience in mediation of multi-party, complex employment and labor,
transactional, and commercial disputes.  Currently he serves on the mediator panels
for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and has consulted on alternative
dispute resolution and conflict management processes for attorneys and
professional associations.

Previously, Abe was Executive Director of Human Resources and Special Projects
for the Conway Organization, Inc. in New York City.  He also served as Executive
Vice President for Human Resources and Development for Script’s Pharmacies, Inc.
In addition to his practitioner experience, he teaches Human Resource
management, employment and labor law, and provides instruction in preparation for
the Human Resource Certification Institute professional certification exam.

Next, I am delighted to announce the appointment of Mr. Paul Russo to the position
of Acting Associate Dean/Director of Continuing and Professional Studies, effective
immediately.  With his years of experience in continuing and professional studies,

Paul brings know-how, energy, and enthusiasm to his new leadership role.
Paul has served as the Associate Director for Continuing and Professional Studies
for the last two years, responsible for the oversight of CAPS Operations.  In addition,

Paul has been instrumental in forging partnerships with a variety of external
constituencies that include Microsoft, Sun, IBM, Cisco, and Apple.  Paul is actively
involved with many New York City and State organizations and government
outreach efforts.  His academic responsibilities include serving as Director of the
Center for Information Technology and E-business. At the College, he has served as
a member of the Corporate Action Team, Entrepreneurial Task Force, and Career
Services Working Group.

Beyond the College, Paul was elected to the Board of Directors for the Governor’s
Island Computer Science and Research Corporation and is an active member in the
University Continuing Education Association (UCEA) and the Association for
Continuing Higher Education (ACHE).  Before joining Baruch, Paul was a principal
in a boutique training company in New York City, and prior to that, worked for Texas
Instruments Defense Systems and Equipment Group, Inc.

Paul holds an M.S. in Electrical Engineering from Vanderbilt University and an M.B.A
from the University of Dallas.  He is currently pursuing a doctorate in business at
Pace University.

Searches for the permanent leadership roles in each of these organizations will
commence soon.  Please join me in extending congratulations to Abe Tawil and
Paul Russo in their new capacities at Baruch College.  We are pleased that they will
continue to contribute their professional talents to our community, and ask that all of
us continue to support them as we move forward.