BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

May 2005

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Public Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Public Announcement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 11:29:20 -0400
The Weissman School of Arts & Sciences presents

The Annual Weissman Lecture on the Influence of the Arts on Society

“Reckoning with Catastrophe”

By

Philip Gourevitch

Tuesday, May 10, 2005
5:45 PM
Engelman Recital Hall
William & Anita Newman Vertical Campus
55 Lexington Avenue

Philip Gourevitch, who was Baruch’s Fall 2002 Sidney Harman Writer-in-Residence, is the
author of “We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories
from Rwanda” and “A Cold Case.” A former staff writer for the New Yorker magazine, he was
recently named the editor of The Paris Review. His lecture, “Reckoning With Catastrophe,”
addresses the way in which artists depict social atrocity in the wake of recent natural
disasters, terrorist attacks, and wars.