BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

February 2006

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:03:41 -0500
To: The Baruch College Community
From: Robert M. Specter, VP Administration and Finance
Re: Environmental Audit of Baruch's Physical Spaces

Beginning the fourth week in March, Baruch College will be the subject of
an environmental audit to be performed by CUNY at the direction of the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is imperative that we begin
immediate preparation for this audit. The audit team will INSPECT ALL
SPACES ON CAMPUS such as laboratories, art studios, private offices,
classrooms, and mechanical rooms. Each space will be thoroughly checked
for items including, but not limited to abandoned, unusable,
non-functioning or surplus fluorescent bulbs, hazardous chemicals, printed
circuit boards, computers, batteries, etc. These items, when abandoned,
unusable, non-functioning or surplus (or even having the appearance of
such state), are considered to be "unmanaged hazardous/universal waste."
The inference is that the item is "unmanaged" and will, therefore,
eventually be disposed inappropriately and illegally.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of preparing for this audit
during the next four weeks. If you are storing any items, or are aware of
any items that are being stored in your department, as referenced in the
attached Audit Guidelines, I strongly urge you to bring those items to the
attention of your department/unit head as soon as possible. He/she should
notify our College contact, Steve Wu, at extension 6635 for the
appropriate disposal protocol. Stored items currently not being utilized
should be labeled as "Spare." SUCH LABELING IS CRITICAL TO THE SUCCESSFUL
PASSING OF THE AUDIT.

Some background: CUNY began these audits several years ago, and
approximately 12 colleges have already been audited. The first four
colleges audited were levied fines totaling almost $2.2 million resulting
from audit violations. Penalties of any magnitude would have serious
budget implications for the College and departments therein found to be
non-EPA compliant. Fortunately, we have over a month to prepare for this
audit. We will need everyone's cooperation if we are to do well. The
College has been assured that the audit will be conducted as unobtrusively
and non-disruptive as possible, but you should anticipate that every
office, laboratory, workshop, studio, mechanical room and storage area
will be evaluated. INDEED, EVERY PHYSICAL SPACE AT BARUCH WILL BE SUBJECT
TO EXAMINATION.

The EPA requires that Baruch College be in full compliance with
environmental laws and related municipal code. We have already taken steps
to reduce waste streams at the College, and to store and handle dangerous
materials with great care, in compliance with the law and code. In order
to be in full compliance, we ask for the full cooperation of the entire
Baruch community to help us meet our responsibility.

Steve Wu (x6635), or Jim Lloyd, AVP of Campus Operations (x6030), will
contact each department to schedule a pre-audit conversation/preparatory
review.

Thank you for your cooperation in preparing for the audit.

GUIDELINES FOR GENERAL OFFICE STAFF AND FACULTY

Aerosols
Spray nozzles must be affixed to the container. Before disposal, the
container must be completely empty of product and propellant. Completely
emptied aerosol containers can be recycled with metals.

Batteries
Rechargeable batteries and button batteries cannot be disposed in the
trash, but must be recycled. Many local retailers, such as Radio Shack at
36 East 23rd Street, will accept these batteries. Batteries may also be
dropped off at the Department of Buildings & Grounds (B&G), located at 135
East 22nd St, 1st floor, Room 110. B&G will also collect lead acid
batteries. Alkaline batteries may be disposed in the trash as they do not
contain heavy metals.

Bulbs
Bulbs from all discharge lamps (i.e. fluorescent) must be properly
disposed. B&G will pick up used bulbs for recycling. Incandescent/filament
bulbs can be disposed in the trash.

Electronic Waste ("E-Waste")
The College is committed to the removal of all forms of electronic waste
from the waste stream. All unnecessary and non-utilized equipment should
be properly disposed. Equipment that is not in immediate use should be
labeled as "Spare." To dispose of obsolete equipment refer to Baruch's
Procedure for Relinquishment of Inventorial Equipment on the College's
website (<http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/procurement/obsolete_equip.htm>).
Label the obsolete equipment "For Review" and submit the information as
outlined in the aforementioned procedures. Equipment marked "For Review"
should not be placed in the hallway or in the trash, as the chain of
custody must be completed before the equipment can be properly removed.

Fluids/Chemicals
All fluids should be maintained by keeping the container upright and
capped. Incompatible chemicals should be stored at an appropriate distance
from one another. Rinse and dispose empty containers as trash/recycle
metal or plastic containers. Any product that is no longer
needed/utilized, contact B&G for collection and proper disposal.

Mercury
Mercury-containing devices (i.e. thermometer, manometer, etc.) must be
properly disposed. Notify B&G for pick-up and disposal. Do not dispose of
these devices in the trash.

Pesticides
Application of pesticides must be handled by a licensed applicator. As an
educational facility, the use of pesticides by non-license applicators is
prohibited. Contact B&G for disposal of pesticides as well as any pest
control problems.

Toner Cartridges
Toner cartridges are recycled by our Mail Services Center. Seal the
cartridge(s) in the shipping material from the replacement cartridge(s),
label for recycling and forward to the Mail Services Center, located on
the first floor of the Library Building, 151 East 25th Street.