BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

March 2002

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Vince Passaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vince Passaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:06:01 -0500
You will notice that this is a LONG announcement.  Requests for public broadcast
e-mails have been piling up, alas, as I do other things.  Henceforward I will send one
or two announcements per week, a kind of intermittent campus newsletter.  We are
establishing a page on the web that will feature all the details on the topics covered,
and send just quick "headlines" by e-mail, referring you to the site -- this will save
you scrolling down through long e-mails such as this one.  When that's ready,
further instructions will follow on how to "get there".

For this and future e-mails that refer you to web addresses (url's), to make these
"hot" or "clickable" you likely need to open "Preferences" in the File Menu, then go to
"Location" and select a preferred Internet browser.  Otherwise, when you click in the
mail box on one of these URLs, nothing will happen.  YOu can, however, always cut
and paste the URL into the "Go To" box on your browser.

Finally, for potential request-ers of public announcements: please be sure to include
complete contact information and all details you want in the announcement (the
more information I have to seek out or create on my own, the longer it will take me
to get your announcement out).  Try to limit these to matters of near-College-wide
interest.  And do keep in mind that for announcements of a more limited interest, it is
not at all difficult on Lotus Notes to build your own limited mailing list using the
"address book" function in the Mail section.

Here goes:

ACCOMODATIONS FOR STUDENTS OBSERVING RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS

The Provost’s Office wishes to remind all faculty that there are several religious
holidays throughout the academic year when classes are nevertheless scheduled.
Because students have been expressing their concerns about the upcoming holiday
season, we remind faculty that religious observations constitute excused absences
from class, though, of course, students are responsible for all material and
assignments they might have missed.  Spring break coincides with the beginning
days of Passover and with Christian Holy Week this year, but among other holidays
that might conflict with scheduled classes, please be aware that the closing days of
Passover on April 4 and 5 are observed by many students.  The provost’s office also
urges you to check with your students about other, possibly less familiar holidays
that are nevertheless observed by many students and that fall this time of year, and
plan exam schedules accordingly.

IMPORTANT SUBOTNICK CENTER ANNOUNCEMENTS: "SPREADSHEET
MODELING IN INVESTMENTS"; REUTERS I AND II WORKSHOPS, ETC

Attention all Economics, Finance, CIS and Accounting Faculty:

The terrific book "Spreadsheet Modeling In Investments" plus exercises, has been
installed under the class file folder as "SFSC Spreadsheet Exercises" on all Trading
Floor and Lectern computers in the Subotnick Center.  A copy of this book as well as
Professor Jack Francis’ related textbook "Investments: A Global Perspective" has
been ordered and will go on reserve in the Library.

Also, many preformatted and user definable Reuter’s worksheets are now available
under the Model Browser.  Those that have been tested, described and have had
SFSC staff create examples of how to use them, are highlighted under the "Click
Here For Quick Tips On How To Use Reuters at the SFSC" window at the top of the
Reuters default page.

All of these developments make it much easier to use the powerful capabilities of the
Subotnick Center for faculty and students alike.

As a reminder to all faculty -- if you are even considering using the center for class
sessions or homework assignments sometime this semester, it is vital that you insist
your students sign up for Reuters I and II workshops now, well before your
anticipated use. The Reuters sessions are only 1.5 hours long, they repeat weekly
and on weekends. The calendar of Reuters workshops can be accessed from the
SFSC homepage at www.zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/sfsc and this links to a library
workshop signup page.

Please call Christopher Ruemke at 212. 802. 2208 (fax, 212. 802. 2098) or e-mail
him at [log in to unmask], for further information.

http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/sfsc/

BARUCH COLLEGE FUND SYSTEM CONVERSION AND DELAYED CHECK
REQUESTS

The Baruch College Fund is in the process of upgrading the Financial Accounting
System in order to provide improved service.  During the week of March 18, 2002
there will be a system conversion to the most recent version of the financial
software, allowing integration of the latest technology. Please be advised that during
this period accounts payable checks will not be processed.  However, invoices will
continue to be processed. We extend our apologies for any inconvenience this may
cause.  If you have questions or need further information, please contact Jaime
Quintong at  212 . 802 . 2793.

TRAINING SESSIONS FOR NEW REQUIRED ELECTRONIC PAF AND
E-TIMESHEET FILINGS FOR THE RESEARCH FOUNDATION

At the Research Foundation's website, an online Electronic PAF (Personnel Action
Form) and Timesheet submission feature was created to eliminate all unnecessary
paperwork and minimize processing delays in research grants.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ELECTRONIC SYSTEM WILL SOON REPLACE ALL
PAPER-BASED PAFS AND TIMESHEETS

Thus, if you are a Principal Investigator|Project Director of a grant administered by
the Research Foundation and have not attended a training session, you are
required to attend one of these training sessions.  They will serve to instruct you on
how to get set-up to use these new electronic features and provide you with
troubleshooting techniques

Training Schedule-April 22nd at 9:30-1pm (E-PAF only), April 29th at 9:30-1pm
(E-PAF only) and 2-3:30pm (E-Timesheet)

Location-151 East 25th Street building (Library), Conference Center, 7th Floor,
Room 763

Please call the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (SPAR) to RSVP at
(646) 312-2205

All Principal Investigators|Project Directors are asked to invite your assistants who
are responsible for handling PAFs to attend at least one of these training dates.

For more information:
Chante Ramsey,
Asst. to the Director Office of Sponsored Programs & Research
Baruch College
One Bernard Baruch Way, Box J-1010
137 East 25th Street Building--Room 1015
New York, NY 10010
(646) 312-2205 Phone
(646) 312-2206 Fax
Website: http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/grants

NSSE QUESTIONNAIRES SEEK STUDENT FEEDBACK ON BARUCH
EXTRACURRICULARS AND SERVICES

It is an important part of our commitment as a College to improve the total
educational experience of our students: not only what occurs in the classroom, but
what occurs outside, in their dealings with us as their advisers, administrators,
counselors and providers of critical services.

For this reason, under the auspices of the National Survey on Student Engagement
(NSSE), we recently distributed to randomly selected first-year and senior students
at Baruch a short, 15-minute survey called The College Student Report 2002. The
survey asks the students to share their views about how and where they spend their
time, the nature and quality of their interactions with faculty members and peers,
and what they have gained from their classes and other aspects of their college
experience

Students’ responses to these questions will guide the College in shaping plans for
improvements in all areas of student life and student services.

For more information, please feel free to contact David Potash in the Provost’s
Office, and do consult the very interesting NSSE website:

http://www.iub.edu/%7Ensse/

UPCOMING TEACHING AND TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE, INCLUDING ‘SMART
PODIUM’ WORKSHOPS

There will be a conference on "Teaching and Technology" on March15.  All
information is availabe at:

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/slas/events/teach_tech_02.html

Please note that the conference will include, among other things, two workshops on
use of the new ‘smart podiums’ (or, "podia putantia" or "podia ratiocinativa,"
depending on just how 'smart' they are, I suppose, for all you Latinists among the
readership – and if you’ve read down this far, you deserve some Latin as a relief for
your eyes…)

Contact Professor Glen Allbright for more information on the conference.

(Comments and questions on the Latin should go to my son John, at
[log in to unmask], as he provided the translations.)

More next week.