BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

October 2004

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
Vince Passaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vince Passaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:07:29 -0400
The following e-mail contains two items of interest. Please do not use the 'reply'
feature to make inquiries or comments; instead, contact the persons listed with each
announcement. Thank you.

Dear Colleague,
As a result of our recruitment initiative, College for a Day, over 500 juniors and
seniors from New York City high schools have come to Baruch over the last two
years to receive information about applying for college and financial aid. In addition,
they have been given a sense of a typical day here at the College by attending two
45 minute classes taught by Baruch faculty, followed by lunch and a tour of the
campus.
Since initiating the program in 2002, Baruch has seen an increase in enrollment
from many of the highest ranking high schools in New York City. Baruch faculty keep
telling us how happy they are with the students they've been getting in their classes.
They say they don't know how we do it. This is one of the ways. We invite students
from the best schools to participate in College for a Day, they love it and go back to
their schools and talk about it. Teachers tell us of the enthusiastic conversations in
their classrooms occurring for days after College for a Day; the students love the
classes they've taken here and the news travels fast. Already our office has received
phone calls from many of last year's invited high schools to ask if they can come
again this year.
Luckily for them and us, we've decided to continue the tradition. November 12 and
19 are the dates of this year's College for a Day visits.
Just like their students, many of the faculty members who taught for past year's
College for a Day mini-classes have already expressed interest in signing on again
this time around. Given their enthusiasm, we thought that the rest of the Baruch
community would be just as eager to help us achieve our goal: to encourage some
of the best and brightest students in New York City to seek out higher education,
preferably, but not necessarily, at Baruch, and to clarify the process required to do
that.
Students will arrive at the Vertical Campus on the 12th and 19th at 8:30 a.m. After a
short greeting and information session in VC 14-220, each student will be assigned
to a group and each group will report to its first class at 9:45 a.m. in one of the break-
out rooms on the 14th floor. After that class, the students will attend their second
classes at 10:45 a.m., held in the
same room as the first with a different professor. If you were to decide you wanted to
teach two classes in one morning, and would prefer to remain in the same room for
both, we can try to arrange to bring a new class to you. Each class should not
exceed 45 minutes and can be on any topic you like, keeping in mind that these are
high school students who are likely to have never before attended a college class.
This year we are certain to host about 200 students at each College for a Day.
Ideally we would like to offer 14 classes on each of those days (7 at 9:45 and 7 at
10:45). This will keep the size of the classes to about 25-30 students each. I hope
that you are available to volunteer to teach a class or two for us on either November
12 or 19, or, even better, both. To express your interest in teaching, or to ask any
questions about College for a Day, please call David Keller at 646-312-1367.
This is a great way for us to reach out to the youth of the City: harvesting the best of
its high schools for our College, while publicizing our standing as leaders and
innovators in higher education. I know I speak for everyone in Undergraduate
Admissions when I say that we would be grateful for whatever amount of your
energy, time and talent you are willing
to contribute to this cause. Thanks. I look forward to working with you.
Sincerely,

James Murphy
Asst. Vice President for Enrollment Services

Contact:
David Keller
646 312 1367

PSC CUNY Research Awards Announcement

The PSC CUNY Regular Cycle Competition deadlines are quickly approaching! All
Baruch faculty must submit their electronic proposals by the SPAR Office deadline
(Wednesday, October 13, 2004) or no later than the PSC CUNY Program deadline
(Friday, October 15, 2004). The program guidelines and electronic submission
information for the PSC CUNY program are available at http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/
grants/psc_cuny.html. Please note that the SPAR Office is hosting PSC CUNY
program proposal submission system training and orientations—the remaining
dates before the October deadline are 10/12/04 and 10/14/04 (additional training
sessions will be scheduled for November 2004). If you should have any questions,
contact Chantè Ramsey, Assistant Director of the Office of Sponsored Programs &
Research, at (646) 312-2207 or [log in to unmask]