BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

March 2003

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:06:11 -0500
To:  Baruch College Community

From:  President Ned Regan

Subject: Phonathon 2003

It’s that time of year again when good news and celebration is tempered by
uncertainty and the wringing of hands.  Over the last month and a half, Baruch
College has admitted 2,500 freshman for the fall.  And while all of those students, I
have no doubt, are intelligent, resourceful and full of promise, many of them may be
unsure at this point of what forms they need to fill out; what tests they may need to
take; and what orientations they need to attend in order to successfully complete
their transition from high school senior to college freshman.  Some may not have
even decided yet whether or not they’ll accept our offer to attend Baruch in the fall.

This is where Phonathon comes in.

Transitions are difficult for many of us.  Leaving an environment that is secure and
familiar, for one that is challenging yet unknown can be a great source of stress.
This stress is very often compounded by the presence of confusing logistics and
paperwork.  It is the aim of Phonathon to manage a student’s anxiety brought on by
our administrative needs, by being available to answer their questions by phone.
Twice a year phone banks are set up where Baruch faculty, students and staff are
invited to volunteer their time to sit for an hour or two at a time and answer the calls
of newly admitted freshman.  Many students will be calling to seek guidance on the
matters I’ve already mentioned, what forms to fill out, etc., but others may have larger
issues in mind and be trying to make up their minds as to whether Baruch is the right
choice for them.  They will be asking, among other things, about the activities and
academic programs that Baruch had to offer.   And it is especially for these
questions, questions requiring seasoned, informed answers, that having
distinguished members of our faculty, staff and student body there to answer the
phones will be an invaluable asset.

Phonathon 2003 will be held Monday, April 7th, Tuesday, April 8th, Wednesday,
April 9th and Thursday April 10th from 3pm to 8pm.  The location will be the phone
bank on the first floor of our Annex Building: 137 E. 25th Street.  Refreshments will
be served for all Phonathon volunteers to enjoy.  If you’re interested in donating your
time and knowledge to Phonathon please call Marisa de la Cruz at 646-312-1372.
You may also email her at [log in to unmask]  I hope that you will give
generously of yourselves to Phonathon.  Sign up today for a two-hour slot April 7th,
8th, 9th or 10th.  While you’re at it, sign up for two.  Let’s show the class of 2007 how
much we know and how much we care.