BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

November 2004

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
"George Otte, Dir. of Inst. Tech. , CUNY" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Otte, Dir. of Inst. Tech. , CUNY
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:52:52 -0500
To: All CUNY Faculty
From: George Otte
      Director of Instructional Technology - CUNY

You may already know about CUNY Online Distributed Learning Network (at
http://www.dln.cuny.edu/ ). Developed at the urging of the Sloan Foundation
(which supports CUNY Online), it's designed to give students (and also
faculty) interested in online instruction a one-stop spot for online
offerings in CUNY. Because the separate Blackboard installations are indeed
separate, the DLN is the only general or University-wide listing of online
courses in CUNY, at least for the time being.

A variety of circumstances -- notably recent enrollment growth and the
pressure it has put on classroom space -- urge the most complete listing
possible. So I am asking you, if you are offering a Spring '05 course that
is partially or fully online, to fill out a course information form (at
http://www.dln.cuny.edu/courseform.html ). This only takes a couple
minutes. And if you have already listed with the DLN, you only need to
e-mail me the title of the course and any changes you want to make. (My
e-mail is given in a mail-to link on the DLN home page, and all course info
forms are also e-mailed to me. It's also below.)

The Executive Vice Chancellor is very interested in getting the "big
picture" view of online teaching and learning in CUNY, including a sense of
levels of activity on the part of each campus, so your participation is
very important. Note, however, that a course must have at least a third of
its class meetings displaced by online instruction to qualify for listing
on the DLN. (Both the DLN site and the course info form define courses as
either "hybrid" [one-third to three quarters online] or "asynch"
[three-quarters to fully online].)

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

--George

George Otte  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Director of Instructional Technology, CUNY
Phone/Voicemail: 212 541-0411   Fax: -0198
555 West 57th Street,  New York, NY  10019