BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

February 2005

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 17:43:19 -0500
To:  The Baruch College Community

From:  Kathleen Waldron, President

 It is with sadness that we note the passing of Marilyn Mikulsky, who was for many
years an important member of the Baruch community and a major influence on the
design and style of our campus. Ms. Mikulsky served the College from July 1978 to
July 1995 and was largely responsible for the renovation and completion of
Baruch’s award-winning Newman Library and indeed for the entire Information and
Technology Building. Officially she held the title of Assistant VP for Facilities and
Planning but unofficially Ms. Mikulsky was known far and wide as “the professor.”
While at Baruch she was the unchallenged arbiter of all things aesthetic, including
the selection of artwork for the library’s walls.  An art historian by training, she taught
at Hunter College prior to joining the Graduate Center where she rose to become
Dean of Administration.  All told, her career at CUNY spanned 30 years and she was
instrumental in the shape and design of some of the University’s finest buildings.
She died on Jan. 14, 2005 following a lengthy illness.  Our sympathy goes out to her
family and the many members of the Baruch community who recall her striking
presence and vivid personality.