BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

February 2003

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:51:47 -0500
Scroll down for information about the following:

1. Baruch College Caribbean Festival, Mishkin Gallery, "Haitian Voudon Flags"
--Opening Reception TODAY -- Feb. 6

2. Caribbean Festival Concert, Feb. 13

3.Subotnick Center news, including a lunch on Feb. 19 (RSVP by Feb. 15)

4. Undergraduate Internship Fair, Feb. 14

5. Panel of editors and businesspeople on "Money and the Web" Feb. 18

6. An important meeting of the PSC , Feb. 20

7. Pearl Theater Residency, Mar. 1, tickets to Pearl productions, various dates

8. Conference on Philosophy and Racism, March 6-7

_________________________________

1. BARUCH COLLEGE CARIBBEAN FESTIVAL - SIDNEY MISHKIN GALLERY

Sequined Surfaces
HAITIAN VOUDON FLAGS

February 7-March 6, 2003

SPECIAL NOTE FOR TODAY:
Opening Reception - February 6 (5 to 7 PM)

Gallery Hours
Monday-Friday (Noon to 5PM)
Thursday (Noon to 7PM)

135 22nd Street, New York, NY 10010
(212)802-2690
An exhibition organized by ExhibitsUSA

__________________________________

2.
Rhumbamerica: Caribbean Festival Concert:
In conjunction with this exhibition, a Caribbean Festival Concert will be held on
Thursday, February 13, 2003 at 1 pm in Baruch College’s Rose Nagelberg Theater,
55 Lexington Avenue at 24th St.  For details, please see

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/wsas/jazz/rumbamerica.html

___________________________________

3.
Subotnick Center news, including Feb. 19 lunch.

Dinner and a movie:
The Subotnick Financial Services Center Invites ALL
FACULTY to Lunch, an exciting 7 minute film about SFSC and an easy hands
on LEARN TO USE SUBOTNICK RESOURCES session.
Wednesday, Feb. 19th, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm.
Seminar Room 125, First Floor, Library Building.

Please RSVP by Feb. 15th to: [log in to unmask]

   Since our March 2000 opening, the live news/prices and historic economic
data/news/prices available at the Subotnick Financial Services Center have
been used for over 100 class meetings of more than 40 undergraduate and
masters level courses in areas including CIS, Statistics, Economics,
Marketing, Accounting, Business Journalism and Finance.

To maximize the educational value of the center, we would like to support
you and your students in any way we can.  We have worked with faculty to
develop in-class exercises and homework assignments based on the center's:

 - Live and historic news stories as well as market data
 - Built-in, ready to complete, finance, accounting and economics
assignments
 - Analytic tools in Microsoft, Excel and SAS
 - Company research reports and accounting data from Thomson First Call
 - Several trading simulations, plus one that uses actual price data

Our information sources are "downloadable"; students can create their own
data files and analyze them later, away from the Center.

Easy to use help screens will have you and your students actively using
Reuters, First Call, and other programs within 5 minutes.

We have plenty of available time slots for 2003 class sessions (view our
online calendar from the "calendar" link on the SFSC website above), and
we'd like you to build one or more Subotnick Center sessions into your
course syllabus. Contact us to learn how to integrate the Subotnick Center
into your lectures and class assignments, or have me teach one of your class
sessions here.

The SFSC staff looks forward to seeing you soon!

Cheers,

Christopher B.Ruemke

Associate Director,Subotnick Financial Services Center
Zicklin School of Business, Baruch College/CUNY
17 Lexington Avenue, Box H-0125
New York, NY 10010
Phone:212-802-2208 / Fax:212-802-2098
[log in to unmask] | http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/sfsc/

____________________________________
Friday, February 14, 2003
12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Vertical Campus Basement Gymnasium
This event is open only to undergraduate students!   All majors welcome!
Students Must Bring Resumes; Students MUST Wear Business Attire to be admitted
(Suits and ties for men; Suits or dresses for women)
No admittance after 3:30pm
View companies and positions available at:
www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/internshipfair

Students may register in advance on: http://baruchcdc.erecruiting.com

Heather L. Abramson
Undergraduate Internship Coordinator
Baruch College Career Development Center
Room 2-150, Vertical Campus
Phone: (646) 312-4670
Fax: (646) 312-4671
http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/careers/

Mailing Address:
One Baruch Way, Box B2-150
New York, NY 10010

____________________________________
5.
Money and the Web
Join a panel of top editors and businesspeople to discuss: How can we
balance commercial demands vs. the need for inventiveness in defining
journalism on the Web? How can journalism in this medium move forward in
defining itself as it's hit not only by sweeping technological change, but
also crushing financial needs? How do financial pressures affect journalism
on the Web?

Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2003 — 6:15-8:45pm
Baruch College, 55 Lexington Ave., 14th floor, between 24th and 25th
streets in Manhattan
Panelists include:
Michael Silberman, Acting Executive Producer, MSNBC.com
Beau Brendler, Director, Web Credibility Project
Rich Jaroslovsky, ONA founding president, former editor-in-chief, WSJ.com
Michael Elliott, Time magazine editor and columnist, former
editor-in-chief, ecountries.com
Daniel Bernard, Director of Advertising Development, CBS.Marketwatch
MODERATOR: Dorian Benkoil, Managing Producer, ABCNEWS.com

Contact:
Prof. Joshua Mills
Director, Master's Program in Business Journalism
Baruch College
One Bernard Baruch Way (55 Lexington Avenue), Box B-7259
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (646) 312-3925
Fax: (646) 312-4010

6. PSC Meeting
An important meeting for the membership of the PSC at which two major issues will
be discussed:

      1. Changes and contemplated changes in our benefits from the Welfare Fund:
drugs, dental, optical, disability,etc.

      2. The looming budget crisis for New York State and CUNY: the outcomes.

Steve London the VP of the PSC will lead the discussion.

Please contact Professor Howard Ross for information.

                                                      Thursday, February 20th, 12:30-2:00 pm
                                                      Administrative Lounge, Rm 301, 135 East 22nd St.
                                                      Lunch will be served

7. Pearl Theater:

                                THE THEATRE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
                                                     AT BARUCH:  Spring, 2003

        Our theatre in residence this semester is the Pearl Theatre Company

        There will be one free performances for Baruch College at the theatre,

                        Saturday, March 1, 2003, @ 2 PM: Heartbreak House, Shaw

        You must contact me DIRECTLY (see below) to reserve your seats for this
        performance. Please do so as early as possible since the theatre will fill up fast.

        If you cannot make the free performance, by going to the Baruch
        home page, under "Arts," and opening the Pearl Theatre Company
        web-site, you can see more about the schedule of plays:  www.pearltheatre.org

        Heartbreak House, Shaw, Feb. 11, 2003 - April 6, 2003
        Daisy Mayme, Kelley, April 8, 2003 - May 11, 2003

        As in the past, a PHONED RESERVATION at the theatre box office, along
        with proper identification when the tickets are picked up, gets any member of
        the Baruch community a seat at any scheduled performance for $5. The phone
        number is 212 598 9802. You may also bring a guest for $5. REMEMBER:
        contact the box office as soon as possible, since many performances may sell
        out quickly, in order to take advantage of this superb deal.

        We will have our TWO-DAY RESIDENCY, when the people at the Pearl
        come to the campus to meet with students from all disciplines, on:

                M/T, March 10 - 11, 2003

        Faculty should get in touch with me as soon as possible to reserve
        space at the 25th Street 7th Floor Conference Center during your
        SCHEDULED CLASS TIMES and to discuss individualizing the programs.

        I hope to see you at these events.

        Robert Scotto
        English Department
        646 312 3982

____________________________________

8. Conference on

Racism and Philosophy

March 6-7, 2003
(Thursday and Friday)

Skylight Room 306, 17 Lexington Ave. (at 23rd St.)
Free and Open to the Public

Department of Philosophy
Weissman School of Arts and Sciences
Baruch College