BBFACSTAFF-L Archives

January 2005

BBFACSTAFF-L@BARUCH.LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

From:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:09:14 -0500
January 10, 2005

To: Baruch Community

From: David Dannenbring
 Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

Re: Baruch’s 2005 Freshman Text

I am delighted to announce that the selection of Baruch’s 2005 Freshman Text will
be chosen by the English Department under the leadership of John Todd,
department chair.  The freshman text is a common reading: everyone participating in
the freshman year – students, faculty, staff and administrators – reads the same
book, strengthening our academic and intellectual community.  The reading figures
prominently in a freshman’s transition into college, especially from orientation
through convocation, and with the cooperation of the English Department, the
reading will also play a significant role in freshman composition, the foundation
writing course at Baruch College.

Previous freshman texts:
2004-2005 Barbara Ehrenreich’s Nickel and Dimed
2003-2004 Yann Martel’s Life of Pi
2002-2003 Colson Whitehead’s John Henry Days
2002-2001 Eric Schlosser’s Fast Food Nation.
2000-2001 Philip Gourevitch’s We Wish To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be
Killed With Our Families

Mark Spergel, Director of Freshman Year Programs, will work with the English
Department’s selection committee.  If you have any suggestions that you believe that
should be considered for the 2005-2006 freshman text, please forward them to Dr.
Spergel at [log in to unmask]

Thank you very much.